Wednesday, May 09, 2007

'Transmetropolitan' by Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson, 1997-2002

See here for plot outline etc.

As I've said previously I am not that au fait with the graphic novel. This series was recommended to me by friends and then name-dropped in an interview with Joss Whedon, so I thought i'd give it a go.

Although set in a dystopian future the story clearly echoes US politics of the Nixon era. Spider Jerusalem is clearly a homage to Hunter S Thompson and 'gonzo' journalists.

The art work is superb and the story is gripping and unfolds logically. It is quite a biting satire that has a go at religion, social values, morality and largely, consumerism.

However, it has made little lasting impression on me. It is quite an accurate parody of real events but doesn't feel to make much of a point about anything. The story didn't really hit me on an emotional level, mainly because I just couldn't bond with Spider.

At times it felt like the writer was trying too hard and it felt forced and pretentious. I am left with the simple question "what was the point?". The references will be lost on those not familiar with that era in US politics and those who are won't get anything much new from this interpretation.

Still, good artwork and a good story.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home